Monday, November 27, 2006

CRANKY IN THE MIDDLE - Issue 2

CRANKY IN THE MIDDLE: OBSERVATIONS FROM ST. JOHN, KANSAS
Volume 1 - Issue 2 - August 2, 2006

Ok…….HERE WE GO BEATING THAT DEAD HORSE AGAIN
I see the temperance union has had another meeting, at another church no less. (I wonder if the IRS would like to know about that?) I’m all for beating a dead horse once in awhile, but it seems deNILE isn’t just a river in Egypt.
This issue is moot, over, nada, done, and you can stick a fork in it, by all means. As for me, a liquor store in town concerns me about as much as constipation and toenail fungus. Who’s zooming who here? If you look at the BIG picture and the sorry state of the world …..a liquor store in our midst is the least of our problems, and stomping your foot like a two year old because you don’t get your way is not helping. The only thing worse than a snotty winner is a sore looser, and if given the choice to do it your way or the highway…..I choose the highway. Come on……don‘t take yourselves too seriously, and don’t promise the moon unless you plan to deliver the moon. Maybe some time spent repeating the Serenity Prayer would help?
On the day of the grand opening and ribbon cutting ceremony, I didn’t see any cracks in the earth open up and swallow the town, nor did I see the sky falling. (Henny Penny must have been out of town).
It’s going to be hard to court and woo prospective businesses in the future if you are anti business and treat businesses already established here in that manner. You can’t have it both ways. Let’s hang on to what we’ve got and try to expand it some more. That might require some of us to open our minds just a little bit more than we are used to doing. It also might require more than just whining about insignificant things that don’t amount to a hill of beans, and waste’s everybody’s time. (Might I suggest a NO WHINE ZONE at city council meetings?)
I just want to know when the other side of this issue is going to get some time at bat……..so far it’s been one sided, and far too many lame excuses have been given as to why the other side never gets to bat……..it‘s easy to win a debate when the opposition never gets to speak. So come on, let‘s have a level playing field and a little sympathy for the horse.

YES, ANY IDIOT WITH A COMPTER CAN PUBLISH
An acquaintance asked me the other day just what in the sam hill I was trying to do here. I simply explained to them that I have written many letters to the editor, didn’t like how they came out, never sent them in to the paper and decided this might be a better forum. They asked why I never sent my letters in to the paper and I stated that they probably would never have been printed due to the apparent unprofessional journalistic decisions that were made by the previous editor. That might be harsh, but that’s the way I feel about it…………… I’m old and cranky, so bite me!

IT MAKES ME FELL LIKE DANCING
I know, I know………..I’ve heard already….like about a million times…..the Rolling Stones are making an appearance in Wichita in October. I like the Stones, I like listening to the Stones, but I really have trouble WATCHING the Stones.
Poor Mick looks like he has been embalmed and kept in a mason jar under Funk and Waggonels porch. Keith, well what can ya say?…….let’s just hope he can stay away from any trees that might be lurking in the parking lot at Cessna Stadium.
To those of you old rockers, and young rockers too, that make the trek to see these guys……….have fun and rock on…….and remember “You Can’t Always Get What You Want”. (Maybe tickets for the horse beaters might be appropriate).

I'M A CITIZEN, HOW ABOUT MY CONCERNS?
You know, the next time I see a dirty trash can at the corner of Third and Main Streets, and it drives me to distraction, I’ll grab my bottle of 409 and deal with it. Life is messy, clean it up.

LET THE INSANITY BEGIN
The primary election has come and gone and may the best person win in November. Now is crazy time………when you need to get into the closet and dig out that old rain slicker, because the you know what will surely be flying in abundance this year. It’s almost as much fun as going to see Gallagher.
I hope all of you did vote in the recent primary election. I have a real problem with people who can’t take 15 minutes out of their day and go vote. (Like they are just so, so busy……..gimme a break). I only have one rule about voting………if you don’t…….zip it……I don’t want to hear it, you had your chance and you blew it.

BEST BLOG TO READ ON THE INTERNET
I have some recommendations for those of you who surf the net. Check out http://www.crooksandliars.com/ it is one of my favorites. Another favorite, though it’s not really a blog site, is The Straight Dope…fighting ignorance since 1973 (it’s taking longer than we thought). It is written by Cecil Adams from the Chicago Reader. Cecil is obviously the world’s smartest man, according to Cecil, and he can be read at http://www.straightdope.com/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home